Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have one question about my workplace, California, i was

Customer Question

I have one question about my workplace
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i was sent to a guy that asked me questions
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do i need to tell you what happen
Category: California Employment Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you need to know what happen
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this is what happened. I was a dinner with my fellow workers after hours and the subject of se came up. These are the things I said.1. someone told a fellow worker "what did you do to get that business" I then said "yea who did you sleep with"
2. a few people asked me why I don't drink and after i tried to shut it down they kept asking so i told them the truth "i get hypersexual when I drin"
3. I was in a lot of pain due to my hip needing to be replaced and I said "I cant drink but I would kill for a Vicadin"Is that bad since i was just involved in the converstaion?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Such private conversations away from the workplace are not workplace misconduct. In fact, the phrase of "who did you sleep with" when talking about getting a difficult job or account is a common phrase. Furthermore, none of your comments in the private dinner would be considered a violation of any laws, if you did not come onto anyone or attack anyone or proposition anyone, you did nothing wrong in the normal world. However, it is a shame that people have become so hypersensitive today that anything anyone says can be misinterpreted or just plain interpreted wrong because people have such thin skin, but legally you did nothing wrong if that was the conversation.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was taken to a gentleman who asked me a bunch of questions and it was brought up that I had said other things which I had never said would never come out of my mouth which I denied. I was asked to write a statement and in that statement I said the conversation had been about sex. I admitted to the three things I said but thoroughly denied the other accusations.
Anyway. I did not know how to handle this since I had never had this happen to me.
Thank you for your reply.
Of course, people are overly sensitive and then to stop from making themselves look like crybabies they make extra information up to make themselves look better.
Since you denied most of the allegations, that is exactly what you should have done. You need to maintain as I said above that you did nothing wrong and it was just general conversation and never directed at anyone and it was all in response to direct questions asked of you and it had nothing to do with work, nor was it inappropriate for outside the workplace.