Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I was terminated from Macy's recently because they accused

Customer Question

I was terminated from Macy's recently because they accused me of breaking company policy. However they never gave me proof when I asked for it and their loss prevention team scared me into signing papers I did not know I didn't have to sign. They threatened if I didn't comply with admitting to doing something wrong even if I didn't do anything that I would automatically be terminated.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: California and no nothing has been filed or reported yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The policy I broke according to them was that I was not allowed to ring up family members however my direct manager knew that I would sometimes ring up my mother or my aunt and she said It was ok. She never expressed any concern or advised me that it wasn't ok to do so, so I was unaware that it was an issue until they called me into the loss prevention office. They said if I didn't pay them for the "losses" I caused it would go on my credit report. So I paid them $200. That job my was my only source of income. The manager would constantly tell me I couldn't take days off, days which the company allows monthly. I was expected to put the company before my own needs even if it had to do with my own health.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When I was being interrogated by the loss/asset protection team I was asked multiple times if I was aware why I was brought in for questioning. I continued to advise him that I wasn't aware. After a long speech from him about integrity he asked me again. I then said that I still wasn't aware why I was brought it. He then said to me that he would give me a scenario in which he gave an example of an employee ringing up a family member. I did ring up a family member so I asked if that was why and he asked me if I have rang up a family member and I said yes. He made it seem as if I was lying or like I knew that I wasn't allowed to do so. I'd never previously been terminated for anything of this nature. He made me feel like I knew I did something wrong as if I were a bad employee. He told me if I didn't sign papers admitting to doing this that I would automatically be terminated. And if I did sign them, it meant I was agreeing to pay them$437 and some change to make up for the "losses" that they claim I've caused. I wasn't aware that I legally didn't have to sign anything and that I could exit the room if I was not being detained. He scared me into doing something that I didn't have to do and I wasn't not aware of it until after it occurred. After I met with the Human Resources manager I told her everything that happened and she said she would investigate. That same day I went to see my doctor because working for this company had been stressing me out for a while and after this she put me on stress leave. After my stress leave was over I was terminated. The Human Resources manager said after her investigation she concluded this because I broke company policy. When I initially met with her, I asked for her to prove me with proof before they ask me to give them any more money or anything and I still have not been contacted with any proof however I was called by someone in the company to set up the pay for the $437 which I now only owe $237. I truly believe that I shouldn't be help accountable for something that I wasn't aware that was not allowed, especially after my manager said it was ok for me to do it. The $437 they claim I caused as a loss was from "manual discounts" they said I gave. I gave one manual discount to my mother to adjust the price on something as I would have done with any other customer per store policy. Another time I gave my cousin a one of kind discount because she was purchasing a jacket from the one of a kind rack, and again this is a procedure that would be done with any customer. I explained this to the loss prevention officer and he implied that because they were my family members they were not actual customers
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He kept insisting that they had proof and when I would ask to seeit he would divert from the question and continued to ask me other questions such as if I've ever allowed anyone to take merchandise without them paying for it, if I've ever stolen money from the register, or if I've ever stolen from any of my coworkers. Although I continued to tell him I hadn't done any of that he kept asking me, trying to get me to admit something I didn't do. Throughout the entire process I felt afraid and intimidated, I wasn't exactly sure what to do but to comply with him because as I said before, he assured me that if I didn't do so, it would be a bad outcome for me.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Now I'm not sure what to do or if I can press charges on anything but I would really like to find out. I never get into trouble with he company before either, not about financial things. I was actually awarded by asset protection for helping them out on occasions and I would always call whenever I noticed any suspicious activity. I was told that they'd been investigating me for a long time and that's why they came to the conclusion that they did.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 13 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear this. You may have a very good claim for wrongful termination here, but it can be very expensive fighting a lawsuit against a large corporation.

I would recommend talking to a local employment law attorney. He will recommend first filing for unemployment benefits. Macy's will say they fired you for cause and then you appeal that decision. This will allow for a sort of mini hearing where they would have to provide the proof they have failed to provide you. then you can assess how strong your lawsuit chances are.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.