Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Is it lawful to make an an employee work 7 days aweek

Customer Question

is it lawful to make an an employee work 7 days aweek unlimitid dayly hours exceedeng 10 t0 22 hours daily, consistantly daily ,with no days off, no vacations, ffor 2 years consistenly without any monetary compemation? T sounds like slvery to me. and human abuse, it was demanded to take care of my patient mdad, and the trust that paid me my monthly salary, had ageed verbally 2 times,over the phone, that i would be compensated for every weekend for slightly over 2 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Can you tell me what state this is in, as laws on days off, hours, etc. vary by state?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Murrieta Ca1

Thank you for your reply. Since this deals with California employment law (which has its own category on this site) I'm going to opt out and ask a moderator to move this question over.

Please don't reply to me as that will only make the system send the question back to me for a response and potentially delay other experts seeing the question.

You should be notified when an expert replies to you.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the California day-of-rest laws employees are entitled to one day’s rest in seven and the laws prohibit employers from “causing” an employee to work more than six in seven days. See CA Labor Code 551 and 552. However, this does not apply to employees working less than 30 hours in a week. See CA Labor Code 556.

So under CA law, the employer cannot make an employee work more than that number of days in a week.