LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I recently was fired from my job at a Doctor's office after

Customer Question

Hi, I recently was fired from my job at a Doctor's office after 9 years working the front desk for being tardy. I was the only employee in my department with 2+ experience. Two months before my termination I got a new boss who showed favoritism & clearly I wasn't one of her favorites. She constantly would watch me & call around the office to see where I was if I stepped away from my desk. She would buy some employees gifts but me she never did. She changed my arrival time to be 10 minutes earlier then normal but only mine & not anyone else. I recently won employee of the year among over 300 employees & did the hiring & interviewing 2 months prior to my new boss getting hired. I recently filed unemployment & was denied. I filed an appeal but now I am totally discouraged. I was 3 minutes late the day of my termination but I am the only one who got fired over tardiness when several other coworkers are late & never have repercussions for the actions. Is there anything that can be done? Thank you!
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you be more specific about your question, "is there anything that can be done?" Are you asking about your termination or your UI appeal? Have you had our appeal hearing yet? Do you have an idea why this new supervisor might have been targeting you and not other employees? In other words, what do you think made you different in her eyes?

Hello again,

I see where you read my request for more information but not where you responded. If you did attempt to respond, it did not come through. Once you have responded with that information, I can answer your question/s. Thank you