Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was suspended for 7 days and written up for my first

Customer Question

I was suspended for 7 days and written up for my first offense. I am in the IBEW umion as well. I have never had any kind of diciplinary action or warning with this company. Is it right that my first offense was so severe? For not standing on post the entire time of my flagging shift?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you were found to have committed a safety violation, then safety violations carry harsher penalties than other violations, even for a first violation. You have a right to file your grievance and seek to arbitrate the disciplinary action. You would have to prove that this was not a severe safety infraction in order to seek to reduce the disciplinary action and that would be based on the specific facts of your incident.