LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

Is there a limit to the amount of time for an executive

Customer Question

is there a limit to the amount of time for an executive employment agreement (i.e. 3 years) Delaware LLC HQ California
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

With regard to an employment contract offered to an executive by an employer, there is no maximum length of time that the contact can be agreed by the parties to be in full force and effect. While a contract that exceeds one year in length must be in writing and signed by the parties thereto in order to be enforceable, there is no ceiling on the number of years that the contract will run.

For example, a company may hire an executive and enter into an exclusive contract with that executive for a period of 5 years, or for a period of 50 years, and each contract would be enforceable under the law.

One critical law in CA that needs to be understood is that if an employee hired for a specified term of one year, or longer, and continues to work in the same job after the term expires, the employment contract is presumed to be automatically extend for successive terms of the same length as preceding contract term. So a 3 year contract would presumptively be renewed for another 3 year term. The presumption however is subject to being challenged by evidence to suggest that the parties intended otherwise.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good morning,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. Unfortunately, your gratitude alone is not sufficient for me to be compensated for my having assisted you.

Please understand that in order for me to be credited, and paid, for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars located on your answer page---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,