Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I just completed my 3rd month with CRST: 3 weeks training

Customer Question

I just completed my 3rd month with CRST: 3 weeks training for my license, 34 days with an experienced trainer followed by a 28 stint with my chosen co driver - from my class. The time with my trainer was verbally and physically anusive. I endured the went out with my co-driver. We both had issues getting enough sleep. As a matter of fact he didn't sleep well at all when the truck was moving. This created dangerous situations for both of us. Our dispatcher and driver manager seemed to object to us sitting to rest and said we we late on our load delivery. Fact was there was never enough time when figuring in eating showering and loading and unloading. We were micromanaged and fatigue never seemed important. want to terminate 10 mo contract
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, based on the facts you have provided, unless there is more, it is not grounds to terminate your contract. I am afraid it is not the fault of the company that your co-driver cannot sleep. Also, the times set do not have to take into account time to shower or eat, so this is the nature of the trucking business I am sorry to say. Based on what you are experiencing, it may be inconvenient for you, but it is not quite enough to breach your contract without penalty I am afraid, it is just the hazards and risks of this type of employment based only on what you said above.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Aren't there guidelines as to how long you should have to review contract? I had to request copy and I was sent out the next morning after signing the contract.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The money isn't what they say and they can punish you by reducing your miles. When you are late the give you "city work"
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, if that is part of their policy and contract, you are going to have to comply with the contract. If these reduction of miles is not specified in the contract, then they are in breach of contract and grounds for you to terminate the contract based on breach, but if it is in the contract that they can punish drivers for this conduct, you would not be able to break the contract for that reason.