LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

After being under pressure to retire for the past 3 years I

Customer Question

After being under pressure to retire for the past 3 years I was officially laid off about seven months. ago. The company never called me during that time. My manager told me I was being temporarily laid off due to the slow market conditions in Southern California and they would revisit with me in six months. I recently talked to my manager about returning and he will not call me back.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job issues.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract that provides for recall rights after a layoff? Do you think the manager who did this to you had an ulterior motive in your "layoff", perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs? And, if so, what evidence do you have of that?