Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

During the Iraqi conflict in became a merchant seaman,for a

Customer Question

During the Iraqi conflict in became a merchant seaman,for a little more than a year which according to my union gave me a break in service .disqualifying me from being vested due to a break in service aren't I protected under the merchant mariner act of 1936 and userra?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you with your post.

You are protected. Under USERRA, there is no break in service. So, you should not have been disqualified because of your service. You can file complaint about the violation with U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans Employment and Training Service. Click here for more information.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.