LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I was terminated in the middle of my 12 weeks of FMLA. Now

Customer Question

I was terminated in the middle of my 12 weeks of FMLA. Now my FMLA period has ended but I am on disability with payment received by State of CA. My employer is not ending my employment which means I cannot access my severence package or my 401K for rollover. I have a letter from them stating that I am guaranteed my job back following my FMLA. So I have to concerns. Why could they terminate me and then not actually terminate me until my disability ends, which I don't know when that will end as it is up to my doctor. Something smells really foul here. Advice
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am not sure what you mean by you being terminated, but, not really being terminated. Can you please clarify? How could they fire you but keep you employed?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.