Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Am Perla Tuason currently employed at ARAMBURO PRODUCE AT

Customer Question

Good morning, am Perla Tuason currently employed at ARAMBURO PRODUCE AT
**** *> ******* ****., *** *******, CA *****.I've with this company for 17yrs and
3mos. which our relationship it like a family with them., but last Friday I was surprise
why the owner told our new controller that my work will be cut for 2hrs,which I start at 5am to 130pm coz our store opens 1am(we are in the produce market) I was really surprised and I don't know how I felt I want to shout ,,cry with my anger and he did not even talk to me. It was our new contrl and my boss talked down stair..the worst thing to me is when I drive going home am crying loud(by the way I live in BUena Park).and what happened I was not able to sleep thinking about this and at 3am I went down on my bed for personal necessity but when my feet touch the flr I slip coz I felt like dizzy so as not to fall I strongly grab on my left hand the edge of my bed so I could not moved my hand then in the morning I went to urgent care at Kaiser at Kraemer to have an xray as of now am still on my sling with the doc note to permitme wear this until july asking them to give me a reason why they reduce my hour and its only me?plese I wat to have your phone number where I could reach you for more info abou cp NO.(###) ###-####.thanks a lot
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say that your employment is what is called "at will employment" which means that unless you have a written contract with the employer, the employer has the right to set your hours of work, your pay, the days and amount of hours per day as well as your duties and you as an employee have no right to anything other than payment for all hours worked. Legally, there is no recourse of an at will employee to such cutting of hours by an employer unless they have some written contract with you that prevents them from doing so.
This is something that is very hard for many employees to come to terms with, but the law does not give you an actual right to make demands on your employer and the law does not force your employer to give you reasons for them cutting your hours and it does not even stop them from doing so and there is no legal cause of action you could file in court that would get you what you are seeking.