How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 16344
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Almost 2 years ago I accepted an offer from the City of

Customer Question

Hi! Almost 2 years ago I accepted an offer from the City of Pasadena to provide services as a vendor. This was related to a federal grant the City applied for using my name. The City was awarded the grant. The agreed amount to me was $20,000 per year for three years. Out of that amount 10,000 per year was to be paid by me to others for a total of 30,000 paid out. The balance for me would be $30,000. I provided services of approximately at 35 dollars per hour for a sum of approximately 1800. The City then decided to stop the agreement without my consent and through no fault of mine. Another person experienced the same thing. I am trying to get paid the balance owed. The City has agreed to pay my first invoice of 1800 but requires a release and indemnification. I would like to be paid the 30,000 with no indemnification as it was never discussed or agreed upon. There is no written contract only the conduct of the parties. My services were excitedly accepted. Can you help me work this through? This is also a discriminatory grant favoring African Americans and Hispanic Latinos. The City also is hiring only or primarily African Americans and Hispanic Latinos as employees. I am a white male replaced by an existing African American female employee to do the work I was contracted to do. The City does not seem to hire many males or asians as well. Please get back to me. Thank you. Sincerely David
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 10 months ago.

Hello there David --


Have you been in contact with the federal grant department that originally issued this grant? They might be interested in hearing that the city took their money and did not give it out or use it as it was intended to be used. Unless someone from the federal grant program itself explains to you that the grant has changed and that the money is to be distributed in other areas, then my suggestion to you is to contact a local lawyer and try to negotiate a better settlement from the city with a bigger payout because the city might just be in trouble with the grant givers on the other end. Tp contact a local attorney to assist you in these matters, your best bet is to go to the county bar association and ask them for a referral to several names of attorneys who have experience with dealing with federal and state grant applications and implementations. The bar association should give you several names of either free or low cost attorneys in your area that you can speak with to pursue these matters and at LEAST help you to get the best contract that you can to leave the program with as much money as you can for your vendor business and all of your troubles.


I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating above in the rating section so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right of the middle star). A Bonus box will also appear and any bonuses are greatly appreciated (bonuses are also given in their entirety to the expert) THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Is there anyone on JustAnswer who could response to my situation? I have a subscription so it would be free at my end. Someone who has the grant experience? Thanks.
Expert:  Legalease replied 10 months ago.

David --


Even if someone did have such experience, we are not permitted to take on customers outside of the website for liability issues. We are only permitted to tell you the realities of your situation and refer you off to another local attorney in such matters. You might even want to check with any local law schools to see if there are professors there working on federal grants -- you might find some willing and free assistance through a lawschool as well.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi! I'm looking for better answers than the ones you provided. Although I appreciate them. I can go to the bar association without asking a question to just answer. Also you did not respond to the discrimination component. Would you like to try again or can you refer this to another person at just answer? Thank you very much.

Related California Employment Law Questions