Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was brought in the HR office last week, I was given a

Customer Question

I was brought in the HR office last week, I was given a formal verbal write up on an event that happened over 100 days prior is that possible
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CA laws, the employer may issue verbal reprimands for actions that even took place 100 days previously, especially if the employer either just learned of the action or just completed investigating the allegations. Unless you have a written contract to the contrary, your employer does have the right to issue a verbal write up and that would not be unlawful.