LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I started working : I started working 2 jobs in California

Customer Question

I started working
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I started working 2 jobs in California but now my new director, who originally was going to accommodate me, is telling me to choose which job I want. I am working 2 jobs for my family need and after 15 years at this facility, I feel that no one cares and I have to choose. I can't eat or sleep and it's affecting all aspects of my life.... Can I take stress leave from one job and not the other?
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: I know that for 15 years at this facility I have never been in trouble, had a leave of absence because of stress, or negative reports are in my file as far as I've been told. So why is my facility not giving me options other than quit? I gave him three or four different options of what I could do to help both me and my department but he is digging his heels in, for the short time that I have to train at the other facility.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. You asked: Can I take stress leave from one job and not the other? Do you mean apply for workers' compensation stress leave?

Doug

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If it is possible because it's not the second job that's causing the stress and anxiety. It is the first job where the new director is giving me ultimatums even though I have been there for 15 years.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If not, what are my other alternatives?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

You cannot be on workers' compensation for stress on one job and still work another job. It will not fly. You are either disabled or you are not. Neither can you collect state disability for one job and continue to work another.

You really don't have any legal alternatives. If both employers will not coordinate your schedule so that you can work both jobs, then you really don't have a choice but to choose which one you stay with.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug