LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I have an appeal hearing tomorrow denied unemployment claim

Customer Question

I have an appeal hearing tomorrow for a denied unemployment claim
JA: The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have been unemployed since April of last year and my benefits ran out in January. During that time, I earned wages from Residual TV payments (which were reported) and those residuals should equal wages, but I was denied a new claim based on section 1277 because I didn't meet the work requirement
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: They told me that if I worked even one day, I would qualify for the claim, but that's not that way my business operates. You can't be a TV writer for one day. I also received a summary of benefits which said I qualified AFTER I was told my claim was invalid so very confused.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I would be happy to help.

Quick question, were your wages that were earned over the past year (Residual TV Payments) paid to you as a 1099 Contractor or W-2 Employee?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Did you still need help?