hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in CA employment law
80178101

I had a question about a teacher contrac : I would like to

Customer Question

I had a question about a teacher contrac
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I would like to consult one who is familiar with Ed code
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: In California
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Ok I was at a job fair and was offered a position. They had me sign a offer of employment contract and said this is not the real
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Contract
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 12 months ago.

Good Evening,

Thanks for using Just Answer. Can you give me more details about your question? I am not 100% sure of what you are asking.

Thanks,

Amber

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I went to a job fair April 30,2016 for a teaching job. I got offered the job and they had me sign an offer of employment. I was under the impression and they told me that it's just an offer saying we want you and you want them. The offer is contingent on fingerprinting, credentials and submission of my transcripts 30 days within this date. I called to tell them to tell them that I changed my mind and circumstances have change and they said that I'm under contract and they could report my credential to ctc if I do not fulfill my contract obligations. I talked to the superintendent and he said it's fine, but I am worried that I do not have anything in writing and that they would still take legal action against my credential. Here is the contract.
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 12 months ago.

Good Evening,

Because you haven't signed the official contract, there shouldn't be an issue with you changing your mind at this point. Usually, a Teacher has to be in the middle of a school year and quit unexpectedly in order for their credentials to be in jeopardy.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if needed and please don't forget to rate me!

Thank you,

Amber

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I attached the contract, can you glance at it and make sure it's just an offer and not the official contract?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Here it is
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 12 months ago.

Yes, this is just an offer of employment. It also states that it will become null and void automatically if you don't complete the requirements (providing references, documents, fingerprinting, etc...). You shouldn't have anything to worry about due to changing your mind about accepting the job.

Thank you,

Amber

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
if I do not follow through with fingerprinting and submitting my transcripts then does the contract become null and void then? I'm just trying to be clear legally what are my options. If I refuse to do the things required for the job then does that have any repercussions. Also, I'm not sure if I should just wait or should I contact the superintendent to get something in writing?
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 12 months ago.

Correct, if you don't complete your fingerprinting and don't submit your transcripts the contract would automatically become null and void. And since the contract would be voided, you would not have legal repercussions. You could just wait and your contract would just void out or contract the superintendent, that is your choice but either one would be fine from a legal standpoint.