Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was demoted (with same pay) into a different department

Customer Question

I was demoted (with same pay) into a different department because employer wanted to give my job to a family friend. Do I have any recourse in California?,I was demoted (with same pay) into a entirely different department,in which I have zero experience, because employer wanted to give my job to a family friend who has zero experience doing my former job. Do I have any recourse in California? I went from being the Director of Warehouse Operations for a 12,000 square foot facility moving approximately $30 million in product a year to an entry level position in website QA.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Employment in CA is considered at will, unless you have a written contract to the contrary. This means the employer can hire, fire, promote or demote at the employer's will and unless the employer is doing this based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee, there is nothing improper about the employer doing this.
An employer can move or demote an employee for any reason at all or for no reason at all as long as it is not based only on age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employer.