LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I am being demoted but I believe it is unfairly being done

Customer Question

I am being demoted but I believe it is unfairly being done do I have any rights?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your demotion.I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the manager who is demoting you had an ulterior motive in demoting you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs? In what sense do you believe the demotion is unfair?