John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

I have reduced one of my employees hours. He was full time

Customer Question

I have reduced one of my employees hours. He was full time salary at 65k per year. He made many mistakes and was not bale to handle all accounting tasks so I am reducing him to three days a week 8 hours per day 20.00 per hour. He will be doing ADM tasks.
Am I liable for his medical insurance? not sure what the California Law is in this regards
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
California law does not mandate health insurance...only federal law does and only in the case of employers with 50 or more employees and in the situation where the employee works on average of 30 hours a week on average. Otherwise coverage is not mandated. Also, if you as employer have a employee health plan, you must be certain for whom that plan provides coverage...generally it is those with 32 or more hours per workweek. You want to be sure the plan doesn't mandate coverage for those with 24 hours a week.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I am okay with cutting his hours and reducing his pay?

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
He could quit under these circumstances and get unemployment, it's a substantial change in his position which would entitle him to unemployment benefits
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with in regard to this matter?
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.