KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW

New employee enrolling in HSA restrictions.Is the rule (age

Customer Question

New employee enrolling in HSA restrictions.
Is the rule (age 56, married) $7750 max in a year? They are asking for me to:
"I certify that during the Plan Year for which I am now enrolling, I will not have access to reimbursement of medical expenses under any General-Purpose Health Flexible Spending Account or Health Reimbursement Account established by another employer for myself, my spouse, or any other family member, including a grace period or a carryover balance from a prior year."
I'm guessing that the plan year starts when I enroll, not January. Is there a restriction?
If I had a FSA which is now expired, does that stop me from enrolling in a HSA for the rest of the year?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. You can enroll and they want to know if you, spouse have any $$ available to pull out during this year 2016. Uour new plan starts now for the rest of 2016. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, not clear.

OK if we pull out any from old plan that has funds in it AND contribute to new plan?

Just to be clear, have NOT contributed to HSA at previous job this year

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
The legibility for the new plan is based upon if you have any funds available from the old plan which you can roll over, you must answer "yes", if there are no funds available to pull out then you can enroll.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

KJL, thank you for your help!

I'm confused. Just switched jobs, signing up for new benefits.

Had FSA contributions and expenses of $1000; plan terminated with my employment.

$0 HSA contribution in 2016, and contributions rolled over from previous year.

Seems I should be able to make contributions in a NEW HSA for $2016. Is that accurate? Is there a limit so that FSA+HSA does not exceed $7750?

If not, please cite code or website I can see.

Thank you!