legalg
legalg, Other
Experience:  General Practitioner. Research Attorney
63726236

My question pertains to unemployment and retirement. I

Customer Question

Hi my question pertains to unemployment and retirement. I retired from the Co of San Diego. I did pay into my retirement (a specific portion calculated by my age and years of service). 5 months later i went to work for a seasonal Tax preparation service. I am now going to apply for unemployment. Will my retirement money be deductible from my unemployment?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  legalg replied 8 months ago.
Here is the relevant code:ARTICLE 1. Eligibility and Disqualifications [1251 - 1265.9] ( Heading of Article 1 amended by Stats. 1953, Ch. 1294. ) 1255.3. (a) Except as provided by subdivisions (c) and (d), the amount of unemployment compensation benefits, extended duration benefits, and federal-state extended benefits payable to an individual for any week which begins after March 31, 1980, and which begins in a period with respect to which that individual is receiving a governmental or other pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity, or any other similar periodic payment which is based on the previous work of the individual shall be reduced, but not below zero, by an amount equal to the amount of the pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity, or other payment, which is reasonably attributable to that week.(b) Subdivision (a) shall be operative only during such time as Section 3304 of the Federal Unemployment Tax Act requires that state unemployment insurance laws contain those provisions as a condition of certification of state unemployment insurance laws by the Secretary of Labor.(c) Subdivision (a) shall apply to any pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity, or other similar periodic payment only if both of the following are met:(1) The pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity, or similar payment is under a plan maintained (or contributed to) by a base period or chargeable employer.(2) In the case of such a payment not made under the federal Social Security Act or the federal Railroad Retirement Act of 1974 (or the corresponding provisions of prior law), services performed for the employer by the individual after the beginning of the base period (or remuneration for such services) affect eligibility for, or increase the amount of, such pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity, or similar periodic payment.(d) (1) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity or other similar periodic payment if the individual has made any contribution to the pension, retirement or retired pay, annuity, or other similar periodic payment.(2) The amendments made to this subdivision during the 1986 portion of the 1985–86 Regular Session shall apply to new claims filed with an effective date beginning on or after January 1, 1987.(e) The amendments made to subdivision (c) of this section during the 1985 portion of the 1985–86 Regular Session shall apply retroactively to all unemployment compensation benefits, extended duration benefits, and federal-state extended benefits, payable to an individual for any week which begins after November 1, 1980. That is accessible here:http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=UIC&sectionNum=1255.3 So, in essence, it will come down to whether the employer was the employer during the base year - if so, then the pension amount is deducted from unemployment compensation; if not, then it is not factored in. (the base year is the 12 month window the EDD looks at to determine wages) Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Expert:  legalg replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly--- Rate Positively---so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!