Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can a supervisor take paychecks home weekend and not

Customer Question

Can a supervisor take paychecks home for the weekend and not give to employee on pay day?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. The law requires employers to pay employees within 7 days of the end of the pay period. The law does not say anything about whether a supervisor can take paychecks home. Certainly, the law does not encourage this sort of behavior, it's just silent about it, and unless a law expressly prohibits something it is not illegal. Now, your employer may very well not appreciate having a supervisor who fails to pay employees exactly on the designated payday (despite the fact that the law only requires payment within 7 days of the end of the pay period) or having an employee who takes paychecks home ( despite the fact that the law does not expressly prohibit this). I know I wouldn't appreciate a supervisor doing this. So, the supervisor may be subjected to discipline by your employer. But that would be entirely between your employer and the supervisor. All you can do is report the incident. If your employer chooses not to take any action against the supervisor, you would not have any further recourse. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.