Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

If i have a doctors note stating i have a knee issue and that

Customer Question

If i have a doctors note stating i have a knee issue and that i need to rest. Can i go my employer and ask for my sick pay until i am recovered? i have built up 45 hours or sick pay, but only work 32 hours this week. So can i be covered for my 32 hours ? if the answer is yes, can you provide me any kind of law reference that i can take to my employer. ? I have worked for them for over 20 months straight and have a stellar attendance record.
thanks
-Caleb
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 months ago.
Hello there ---This is not your decision to make -- it is your doctor's decision. In order to be paid for any sick time you might have accumulated, you need a note from a doctor that specifically excuses you from working at your job for a certain period of time (some doctors will say a week, others will say "until next appointment"). Your note is just a bit too vague and if you show it to your employer they will most likely offer you complete sitting accommodations while you are working but they will most likely not let you take all of your sick pay with it. -I hope that helps even if it was not completely what you would have liked to hear. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this chat session so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (a positive rating is pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right side of the middle star). THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY