Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Unemployment if I move.....I was offered a new job about 1

Customer Question

unemployment if I move.....I was offered a new job about 1 1/2 hours from my current job....I just found out yesterday that the offer was revoked due to a delay in paperwork from the DOJ. My landlord has already rented my house and I did find a new house near my new job and may have to take that place since I can't afford anything else. It's toooooo far to commute to my current job.
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Anything else I can tell the Employment Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I take it your question is whether you would be eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit your existing job due to the move. The answer to that question would come down to whether the EDD finds that you are unemployed through "no fault of your own" if you quit due to the move. An individual will be found to be unemployed through no fault of their own if a reasonable person genuinely desirous of remaining employed would have no alternative but to quit under the circumstances. Here, the problem would typically be that nothing is stopping you from finding a new place to live that is close to your present job. You would be moving away not because you "have to" but because it is easier than canceling your move and targeting your search for a rental within the vicinity of your current employer. Certainly, you can try to argue that this would not be "reasonable" for you to do. This argument would be bolstered if you had to pay some sort of lease cancellation fee to get out of your new lease. But honestly, without some sort of immediate financial consequence that would result from changing your plans, I think that the chances of getting approved for benefits are somewhat low. Certainly, I could tell you otherwise to provide you with a "good news" answer, but that would be a tremendous disservice to you. I trust you would not want that and that you will appreciate my candor. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed aby these communications.
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.Very best wishes.