Attorney2020, Lawyer.
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.

I was offered a Life Time Medical Retirement or a severance

Customer Question

I was offered a Life Time Medical Retirement or a severance from a company recently. I was told that if I had 80 or more years of service combined with my age I would be eligible. I had 20 years of service and am 65. However when I took the severance they only paid a half month salary for each year of service leaving me 2 months short of salary. Their reason was because I was an hourly employee however this was not considered when I was told I could take either Medical or severance.
Do I have ant recourse?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 6 months ago.
Was the amount of money that you would receive through severance disclosed before you made the decision to accept the severance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The amount was only described as a year of base salary. To flesh out the entire sequence might help. Diageo Chateau and Estate Wines sold their entire wine holdings to Treasury Wine Estates on Dec 31, 2015. I worked for Acacia Winery at the time they were purchased by DC&E in Feb. Of 2005. Diageo honored my service with Acacia as a start date for vestment, benefit calculations etc.. I transferred to Treasury for three months while they decommissioned the Acacia site. Treasury didn't have a position that was acceptable to me so I chose the severance option.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has been more than 24 hours. Any further info?