LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

The buisness agent of my union is stepping down because she

Customer Question

The buisness agent of my union is stepping down because she "has a new baby." And has moved to have our local be absorbed by a larger local. But it is election time and I have been nominated for president of my union. Shorty after the business agent accused me of not being in good standing within the last two years and of being suspended for being in union dues arrears. To date when I have been aware of any late dues I have paid them and when possible paid. I am currently up to date and HAVE NEVER BEEN GIVEN A NOTICE THAT I WAS SUSPENDED. The work in my union is seasonal and in the summer there is no work so that was the time i was late in dues. My question is under U.S.C 411 number 5 Does the suspension have to be in written because from everything i research it does. Both federally and by the iates international constitution. But my local union ie buisness agent is saying i dont have to be given a written notice and the moment I was in arrears i was suspended by default in the "local constitution " witch she will not give me a copy of . Therefore I cant run for president supposedly. ? Is written notice of suspension fron non payment of union dues required to actually be suspended?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You say U.S.C. 411 Section 5, but that is incomplete, so what full law are you referring to?
Also, what do your bylaws say, have you obtained a copy of the bylaws/constitution from the union office, because they have to give you a copy or your main union office has to give you a copy. They cannot withhold a copy of the bylaws/constitution.