Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My CFO has become increasingly more and more abusive towards

Customer Question

My CFO has become increasingly more and more abusive towards me. He throws papers at me, yells at me in closed door settings and in front of others, and threatens me with slander. HR is aware of my complaint as well as similar complaints by other employees but they aren't doing anything about it. Is there anything I can/should do besides leave the company? I used to report to someone else and never had this problem.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It sound like you work for an absolutely miserable human being. Unfortunately, however, it is not illegal based on our current employment laws to be an absolutely miserable human being. In general, no law makes it illegal to be rude, mean, disrespectful or downright nasty for the people who work for you. "Hostile" behavior only becomes legal if it relates directly to a legally protected trait such as race or religion (i.e. yelling racial slurs) in which case it might be actionable under our civil rights laws.

But in all other circumstances since the conduct is not illegal, your employer has no obligation to stop it from continuing to occur and you have no basis for a lawsuit. All you can do is continue voicing your complaints to HR, or preferably, finding a new employer who treats you with the respect you deserve.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.