LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Can an empoyer terminate an employee whose doctor asked

Customer Question

Can an empoyer terminate an employee whose doctor asked for extended leave for disablity who is suffering from depression
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It depends on several facts, but yes it is sometimes possible, but not always. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How long have you been out on disability?

2. How many employees are in your company?
3. Are you generally a full time employee?

4. Have you worked there more than one year?

5. Does the company have a long term disability policy?
Thanks in advance,

Doug