Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My employer put on a leave because i was told that there's

Customer Question

Hi, my employer put on a leave because i was told that there's an administrative investigation going on. It's been a week and I haven't been call back to work. Last time I spoke to my Regional Manager was yesterday. She said that they are reviewing wether to take me back to work or terminate. I don't know what's going on I don't see anything that I did wrong. Please advise
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about this situation.

"Please advise" is rather vague and I want to provide you with the best possible assistance. Can you please clarify your question for me? What exactly do you want to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should i do in regards ***** ***** matter. should i wait till the investigation is over or should i do something like hire a lawyer to speak on my behalf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i sign anything they ask

Thank you.

Unfortunately, this is not a circumstance in which you would typically have many options. The reason is because employment in the state of Kentucky is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Since employers don't need a good or fair reason to terminate (or by extension suspend) someone, the law does not require employers to give a reason at all. Therefore, your employer would not be violating any law by refusing to communicate their reason to you here.

Hiring a lawyer would not be helpful because you don't really have any legal rights to enforce. In fact, hiring a lawyer can be counter productive as it tends to polarize the situation.

As for whether you should sign anything, it depends on what you are asked to sign and whether you agree with it. Not knowing what sort of document your employer would present to you, it's impossible to state an answer. As a general matter, though, it is prudent to understand that you are never under a legal OBLIGATION to sign anything, no matter how much your employer pressures you to. Also, in general, signing an admission of wrongdoing is probably not a good idea. Again, though, it depends on the circumstances and what exactly you're admitting to. As these things are unknown, a more specific answer cannot be given to that question.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now they are asking me to approve and submit my timecard. what should i do

I cannot tell you what to do because I am not your attorney, I can only answer legal questions. That said, I see no harm in filling out a time card, provided you do so accurately and honestly. I hope this helps.