Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can an employer find out from your/there health care

Customer Question

can an employer find out from your/there health care provider what you are being treated for and what medications you are taking ???
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

No, this information is legally protected in two different ways. First, employers have no right to make inquiries into your health conditions. IF you cannot do your job or need accommodations to do your job, your employer is entitled to a medical verification of that fact, but they are not entitled to know what your underlying medical conditions are--ever. Secondly, HIPAA would prohibit your doctors from releasing your medical information to your employer with your express written authorization.

So, for these reasons, an employer absolutely cannot find out what you are being treated for and what medications you are taking.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.