Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I'm am African American, 62 of age and I have been

Customer Question

I'm am African American, 62 of age and I have been layoff. Is there anything I can do.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This depends on a number of factors. Take an objective look at who was laid off and who was not. If you can assert that more older and/or minority workers were the subject of the layoffs you may have a valid discrimination complaint.

You can file a dual federal EEOC complaint and California Human Relations Complaint simoultaneously with the California Human Relations Commission. The state agency has an agreement with the EEOC to conduct the investigations for both agencies.

There is no cost to you to file the compalint, and the agency can serve as a mediator to resolve the issue with your former employer.

You can find the local HRC office here:

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/crd/stateloc/ca.htm

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.