LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I was given WFR notice on Monday. However prior to that at

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I was given WFR notice on Monday. However prior to that at least since September a lot of people told me my job was going away and I have a workplace diary of poor treatment. My boss said the roles went away as you get paid too much money and we could employ two of you...I know this is contructive dismissal as my new leadership has been blocking opportunities. The funny thing is they retained me in July for 2 years to NOT go to a competitor to then WFR. Their WFR justification is real they are make my role redundant, but I was in development for a global role in Fy16 that they gave to someone with far less experience then my boss during my WFR said there are no opportunities for me. I scored Exceeds expectations every year, constant recognition - this is personal and their are incidents of bullying before they WFR'd me - can I so anything the severance is only 3 months but by retaining me they made me loose at least 350K in stock over 3 years
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I thought the above was quite enough. I have been singled out and persecuted in my role just before they made my job go away. They retained my colleague in the same role. I have evidence of bullying and unfair treatment - I'm unsure why
JA: OK got it. Last thing — California Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Were you treated this way based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?
Were you terminated contrary to some written employment contract?
It is not against the law to WFR someone as long as it is not done based only on age/race/sex/disability/national origin and severance is not mandatory except where the employee has a written contract for severance.
Also, workplace bullying is not unlawful unless it was done for one of the above mentioned reasons, which is why I asked the above questions.