Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I reside in Los Angeles and worked tech company 20 years.

Customer Question

I reside in Los Angeles and worked for a tech company for over 20 years. The severance they are giving me equals about $1350 / year of employment. I consider this a starting point to negotiations. What is the best strategy to use to start negotiations?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Well, as you likely know, severance is solely at the discretion of the employer and subject to some negotiation with the employee. You need to start at the fact you were a 20 year employee AND point out the money that was made due to your efforts and how loyalty in tech companies of 20 years is pretty much unheard of and should count for more than $1350 per year of service.
Without any written severance compensation plan though, it is very hard to negotiate these cases other than to tell people the average severance is about 4 weeks pay per year of employment for an executive level/management employee and about 2 weeks pay per year for a regular employee.