Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Attorney
Experience:  20 plus years experience in employment law
10707909

I was just writing my question.. here it goes.

Customer Question

Category: California Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last week I was excessed from a temporary (holiday rush) job. I do not know if there were any other temporary hires terminated at the same time. There were temporary employees that started after I began at the employer. If there were not anyone else that was terminated on the same day I need to find out if I was terminated for a reason other than they hired too many people for the holidays.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I should go back and be direct with the manager and ask him, are they obligated to answer truthfully? when I asked at the time of termination they said they could not tell me that information. However I was not asking for the names of the individuals who were also terminated at the same time I wanted to know if there were more employees besides me that were let go because of over-hiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In other words I need to know if I was the only employee who was let go at the same time I was.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I was the only temporary employee who was let go at the same time as I was I have to decide if I should pursue a legal course of action.Christina Allen
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

Hello Christina

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The employer has no legal obligation to release any information regarding who they hire or fire. They do not have to tell employees why they are being terminated. However, if you were given an "employee handbook" then you can see if they have policy on procedure to follow when terminating and if they did not follow the procedure, then I suggest you might want to consult with a local attorney.

The only way you could possibly get the information on whether other employees were fired the same day, would be to have a law suit pending and then subpoena those records.

So if you find they did not follow termination policy and consult with a local attorney, a lawsuit is filed for not following policy, then the records on who was terminated the same day as you could be obtained via the Discovery process.

I suggest you certainly can ask the manager who else was let go, if anyone. But they do not need to simply provide the information to you.

Please let me know if you have other questions, need more information or clarification in this regard. Otherwise, thanking you in advance for a positive rating. Thank you