Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer.
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

My company is switching from paying on 2nd and 17th to every

Customer Question

My company is switching from paying on 2nd and 17th to every other Friday. Our delima with the salaried/exempt employees is as of December 17 they would all have their complete compensation for the year. Can we pay them on Saturday January 2 for the period
December 11 to December 24? Otherwise they would wait til January 8 or we pay early on 31st of December and they would have an extra paycheck in year 2015 and no check til January 22 and everyother Friday thereafter.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

What state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California

Salaried employees may be paid once a month on or before the 26th day of the month during which the labor was performed if the entire month's salary, including the unearned portion between the date of payment and the last day of the month, is paid at that time. Such employees may be paid more frequently, however.

As long as the salaried employees are paid in full for their labor for December it is okay to pay them on January 8 or 22. See California Labor Code Section 204 and the link to a treatise regarding pay periods in California: http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_paydays.htm

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.