Maverick
Maverick, Civil Trial and Appellate Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

How to I implement the california paid sick leave law? My

Customer Question

How to I implement the california paid sick leave law?
My staffing coordinator is on a monthly salary basis whereby the arrangement is she works 4 hours in the office everyday and gets 1 day off each week. This arrangement was done as she does some work outside the office like taking calls from Hospitals and staff for their assignments during those times. If her hours exceed 40 hours a week, she is accordingly paid overtime for those hours. If she works on holidays, she get paid holiday pay as well.
So for her case, how does the paid sick leave work or applied? If she goes off 1 day on sick leave, do I pay her 1 day sick leave on top of her regular pay that day or do I just pay her sick leave for that 1 day and no regular pay?
Example, if her converted daily rate is $115 a day, does this mean if she avails of sick leave that day, I pay her $115 regular pay + $115 for sick leave = $230? Or do I pay her only for $0 regular pay + $115 sick leave = $115?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

See partial answer above.

ANSWER:

Under CA law, there is no requirement that an employee be given the right to cash out any unused sick days like they can with vacation time. So, if your employment policy does not provide for that, you would, for this salary-based employee, pay her only the converted daily rate of $115.00 for a day where she takes sick leave and $0.00 for regular pay.