LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Worked in two roles at a fitness gym throughout 2015 with a

Customer Question

Worked in two roles at a fitness gym throughout 2015 with a written contract for a salary and pay structure for the Fitness Manager role (1) where my responsibilities were to manager the personal trainers; and a 'pay as you go' model for the Personal & Group Trainer role (2) in which I provided services as a trainer for individuals and groups. I have yet to receive payment for the work in did in the Fitness Manager role. I received excuses that the gym wasn't making money and they would pay me when they could. Throughout the past several months the environment started to show the stress of the CEO and the lack of funding. The office, lobby and common rooms became a tense and hostile place to be, members were feeling it and class numbers were declining. I choose to resign but would expect the back pay along with the loan I provided the gym to pay several bills. The loan was over $8,000. Additionally, I paid for and installed new flooring to improve the condition of the facility. I am willing to 'gift' that expense. Lastly I have several (12 units) of personal fitness equipment which I provided on loan to the gym to build up their personal training offering. What are my rights in demanding my pay owed in my Fitness Manager role and retrieving my personal equipment and weight machines?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

If you have a contract then you need to go by the terms of the contract. Does the contract state anything specifically about terminating the contract early?