Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I accepted a limited term position with a California State

Customer Question

I accepted a limited term position with a California State agency that was supposed to last 24 months, later they made a permanent job offer, about a month later for no reason they rescinded the job offer then soon after wards laid me off. with out giving me a reason why the permanent position was pulled and they did not honor their original promise of a 24 month limited term position. I had left my career position of almost 20 years with another government agency on the promise of the Administrative Chief of the gaining agency. As result I was laid off and had to take a lesser paying job to get by. I later contacted the regional administrative office to get an answer to why my permanent position was derailed they they stated that there should not have been any job offers made or even promises of 24 month limited term position. Do I have any kind of a case with this. The whole camp were I had worked was under the impression that I was permanent employee as well as the Operations Chief and the Training Chief I was supposedly hired as an open Lister with a veterans preference.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, a temporary position is considered at will (unless you had a written contract to the contrary), meaning that the employer can decide to terminate, hire, make permanent at their discretion for no reason or any reason that is not based solely on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. So, once they made an offer, they did have a legal right to rescind the offer and if you had no written contract guaranteeing you 24 months or pay for that time, they could terminate that position for no reason or any reason not based solely on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.