Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer.
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I worked from home as a salesperson, I was off, my employer

Customer Question

I worked from home as a salesperson, I was laid off, my employer wiped my computer of all my e-mail and contacts. I asked for them to restore my contacts, they refused, they said the contacts are their property. I work(ed) in California.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Was this your personal computer? Were these emails and contacts also your personal email and contacts? How was the employer able wipe your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was a company issued laptop computer. They wiped my e-mail and contacts remotely.

Unfortunately since the information was on the company's property, they own that information. Companies do that to make it difficult for salespeople to change companies and work for other companies.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.