Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I have not received the non-compete yet and i am still

Customer Question

i have not received the non-compete yet and i am still employed. it looks like they will present the non compete and then also change my pay structure if i refuse what are my options if any
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Non-compete clauses are unenforceable under California law. It does not matter whether you sign it or not because the your employer can not do anything if you later violate the clause. Many employers in California who are headquartered in another state do not realize that California law makes these clauses unenforceable, or they use national documents and do not want to amend them state by state.

In either case you have nothing to worry about.

Here is a link to the law:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=16001-17000&file=16600-16607

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you have a chance to look at non compete i sent you

Hello:

Thank you for touching base. I did not receive the document. You can attach it here and I can look at it and post here.

Or I can arrange an additional service so that you can send it to me and we discuss it by phone. There is an extra charge for that however.

I can say that under California Law non-compete clauses are not lawful. So even if they are in an employment contract they are invalid.

Kind regards,

Gerald