Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I recently retired from an oilfield service company. A

Customer Question

I recently retired from an oilfield service company. A friend who is an employee there told me the labor board is going to force them to pay back overtime pay to employees. He said he is due a considerable amount. He and I worked in the same area and myself for a longer time. How do I find out if I am eligible for these payments without causing trouble to my. Friend.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If you and your friend worked similar jobs and he is entitled to back overtime pay, chances are extremely good that you are entitled to back overtime pay as well. However, in order to recover that time, you would need to file your own separate "wage claim" with the Texas Workforce Commission. The TWC will then investigate your entitlement to overtime and issue an award on your behalf if they find cause to do so.

In other words, this is not something that is handled on a "class action" basis. Each claim is assessed individually, and there is nothing to "get in on" in terms of your friend's complaint. His complaint is his, and your complaint will be yours. The TWC will reach independent determinations on each.

It is very important that you act quickly in filing your claim. This is because a "statute of limitations" limits the recover of unpaid overtime to 2 years, or 3 in the case of willful violations. So, each day that passes without you filing a claim is a day that you forfeit the ability to recover overtime forever. So, don't delay. See here to get your claim started.

There is no need to worry about causing trouble to your friend. Your claim is completely separate and your employer will never know your friend and you discussed this matter.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Was I able to answer your question? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance....

If I have answered your questions, I would very much appreciate a positive rating of my service, as this is the only way I receive credit for my answers.

Best,

Patrick