Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

How much can a handy man earn per day, or week or per job

Customer Question

How much can a handy man earn per day, or week or per job without having a licence? For instance house repairs, painting etc.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is technically no limit on how much a handiman can "earn." The limitation is on what a handiman can charge per "contract." That limitation is $500. A handiman could theoretically have contracts with more than one client, all of which are completed on the same day. In that case, the handiman will have "earned" more than $500 in the day but not be in violation of the law. Again, the law restricts what a handiman can charge per "contract." Specifically, it prohibits handiman from engaging in contracts wherein: "the aggregate contract price which for labor, materials, and all other items, is less than five hundred dollars ($500), that work or operations being considered of casual, minor, or inconsequential nature. This exemption does not apply in any case wherein the work of construction is only a part of a larger or major operation, whetherundertaken by the same or a different contractor, or in which adivision of the operation is made in contracts of amounts less thanfive hundred dollars ($500) for the purpose of evasion of thischapter or otherwise."

Provided the handiman works within these limitations, the amount they earn will not violate any law.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that I am naive in this topic.I had a friend whom was admitted to the hospital from an overdose. I did not know this at the time. What I know now is that she overdosed, and barley survived had I not called 911 when her odd behavior was becoming of great concern to me.. To help her get back into her home, I accepted 2000.00 to clean ( a filthy, and dismember home. I purchased paint and cleaning materials, hired two labors to paint, they earned about 400 dollars each. (which I claimed on my taxes the remaining funds paid for paint and repair and cleaning supplys). After, I purchased all the products to paint and clean the house, I made no money at all. I worked for over a week for free. And had to pay the two guys additional money, as the job was quit a mess.

Thank you for your reply. However, I am unclear as to what you are asking exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accepted 2000.00 to clean and paint her home.
all of the money went to supplies and labors.I made no money.However, I may have done work that requires a licence.800 was paid to two labor's, the rest was spent on materials.Have I violated any laws regarding having a license. I have to admit to being a bit unnerved right now. I was just trying to help someone who was a friend. And I may have broken a law without knowing it.

Thank you. Yes, unfortunately this may be construed as a violation of the Civil Code, which imposes limitations on the kind of work that non-licensed contractors can do. However, unless your friend reports you for some reason then there would not be much cause of concern, as the Licensing Board does not have the ability to police violations on their own. I hope this helps.

Was I able to address your question? I have not heard back from you and this question thread remains open. If I can do anything else to assist you just let me know. If I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you would take a moment to positively rate my service, as this is the only way I receive credit for my answers.

Kind regards,

Patrick