Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I quit my job in US in order to be able to take care father

Customer Question

I quit my job in US in order to be able to take care for sick father abroad, this is a family emergency. I need to find a job over there. Will I be eligible for unemployment until I find job over there?
I am dual citizen.
Thank you.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, under CA law for unemployment, to be eligible for benefits you must have lost your employment through no fault of your own OR voluntarily quit your employment for reasons directly related to your employment AND you must be available and looking for new employment. I am afraid that your situation would not satisfy either one of the two requirements that must be met. You voluntarily quit for a reason other than one directly related to employment AND you are not available and looking for new employment. Thus, you would not qualify for benefits under the CA law.