Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I work at a franchised ups store in california and required

Customer Question

I work at a franchised ups store in california and required to wear black pants & compant shirt with logo..employer says will buy 1 black shirt & if I want another woll have to one myself from their manufacturer. .
I can understand buying black pants..maybe..but shirt?? Is this legal in california?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Employers are only required to reimburse for the cost of uniforms if the clothes are not clothes that the employee can wear outside of work. A plan pair of black pants or a black shirt can be worn outside of work and so an employer would not have an obligation to reimburse for that. But even if these clothes could not be worn anywhere outside of work, your employer is not forcing you to buy a second set. So regardless, you can be forced to pay for the cost of a second, optional set.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.