Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have to clean bathrooms at Walgreens at night. There's

Customer Question

I have to clean bathrooms at Walgreens at night. There's times that there is feces everywhere and there is even blood in it. One occasion someone pooped in the urinal in the men's room. I was told to put kitchen gloves on a trash bag over my clothes, and scoop it with my hands out of the urinal until it flushed! I was told I could be fired if I didn't. That is ONE incident. Is that legal? ***@******.***
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry to say that if that is your job and part of the job means cleaning the toilets, you are bound to do so properly. I am afraid that as disgusting as it may be, the employer can require you to perform your job properly and make sure the bathrooms are clean. The law would not be supportive of your case if you did not do so and were fired because of it, as the employer has the legal right to expect the job is done properly (even if it is a disgusting situation).