Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I own a C corporation in California. We need a temporary boy

Customer Question

Hi I own a C corporation in California. We need a temporary boy to help us pack our goods once in a while. If I hire a boy who does not have a social security and pay him cash without signing any contract or establishing a employer employee relationship
,Can we get into any complication
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, this type of temporary or per diem help would still be considered an employee, as you are directing his employment and it is in furtherance of your business purposes. Also, if he is not qualified to work in the US and has no SSN, you could end up in violation of employment verification laws as well. You can hire employees as per diem employees, but you have to pay unemployment and workers compensation on them based on the total days they work.