LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I work of America and 5 months ago I texted back and fort

Customer Question

Hi
I work for Bank of America and 5 months ago I texted back and fort with one of my coworkers
He asked me couple of times to stop texting and I did that after him requesting more than one time
Also k used F words in one of my texts
Do I get fired for that?
The texting was not on work hours and was not about work
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a CA licensed attorney handling employment law issues.

As a general rule, an employer can terminate an employee for any reason, so long as there is no discriminatory intent. CA Employers do have the right to let employees go who do not get along with other employees---both inside and outside the workplace. However, it is rare that a company will terminate an employee who is in the situation that you have mentioned.

The bigger concern would be if you communicate with someone via text who has asked you not to do so and you continue, they have the ability to seek a restraining order against you for harassment and/or stalking.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here.

Thanks in advance,

Doug