Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I gave two weeks notice today with an end date of September

Customer Question

I gave two weeks notice today with an end date of September 1. Can my employer request that I change my end date so they won't have to pay insurance benefits in the month of September? Alternately, can my employer request that I work a couple more days in September so they feel justified in paying insurance benefits through that month?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. There is nothing improper about your employer making these requests. There also would be nothing improper with your employer terminating your employment one day earlier if you refuse to comply with their request. This is because, in general, employment in California is at will absent an express agreement to the contrary and thus can be terminated at any time for virtually any reason, even after an employee has given notice of their intent to quit. I hope that this answers your question. If I can provide any clarification just let me know.
Hello again,
I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.
Very best wishes.