LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

In ring a self employed independent contract caregiver, do

Customer Question

In hiring a self employed independent contract caregiver, do they need to have workman's comp insurance?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
No, if you have hired an independent contractor, that means that they have their own business and that they are self-employed and that they are not your employee.
Under CA law, you do not have to provide workers' compensation coverage, or pay for state unemployment/disability premiums or withhold taxes for a person who is an independent contractor.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The state is Colorado not California is it the same? Thank You
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
Yes it is the same in CO as it is in CA. Independent contractor status id determined by federal law.
You have no obligation to provide workers' compensation benefits for independent contractors.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you.
I wish you well,
Doug