Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer.
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I want to understand how to negotiate additional severance

Customer Question

I want to understand how to negotiate additional severance after receiving a seperation agreement.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

Have you signed the severance agreement yet? How long did you work at the company? What type of company is it and what was your position? Did you have any clients? This information would be helpful to understand your leveraged position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The agreement has not been signed. I have work for a money transfer business located in Texas. I have been employed with the company for 3 years as a senior corporate paralegal specialist.

What is the reason for letting you go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told, I am a hard worker and exteremely professional, but after 3 years the GC and deputy GC have lost of confidence in my ability to perform.
Up to this point, I received "exceeds" on my last performance review in March 2015 from my boss and received no warnings of issues from my boss since my review.
I am above 40 and an african american/hispanic woman.

Perhaps this could be an age, gender or race issue. Perhaps letting them know you intend to submit a claim to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to investigate this claim to leverage your severance in which you would release any wrongful termination lawsuit. Typicalluy emplpoyers will increase the severance amount if they feel like they could avoid a lawsuit by doing so. However, by releasing any wrongful termination claims, you waive any right to bring a discrimination lawsuit or any lawsuit contained in the waiver and release provisions of the severance agreement.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.